Sunday, January 1, 2017

Happy New Year!

Well -- my hoped-for blogging just isn't happening -- we've been too busy having a blast in all my favorite places in Bali, and introducing Dana to the family of friends that I have been fortunate to establish here.  We spent a night with my school friend in Ubud, and a night at Balian Beach -- a respected surfing spot but in this case just a good over night stop after having a traditional Balinese meal with the family of Made's wife Ekha.  Thereafter, we headed to my favorite part of Bali near Amed (the northeast side) where the balance of affordable tourism and local culture come together to create a truly special experience.  Days of motorbike adventures, spectacular snorkeling, beachside accommodations, and, thanks to some luck during prior visits -- a growing community of Balinese to count among my/now our friends.

One highlight was a Christmas Day spearfishing adventure. Thereafter, the wives of the fishermen served a wonderful meal that included these fish grilled as well as made into Balinese Satay.

We've enjoyed many family meals - including on New Year's eve; visited with travelers from around the world; stayed in three different places; and, spent many hours sitting in a nearby village surrounded by family both teaching English and trying to learn Indonesian and Balinese.  I even repeated yet another early morning fishing trip as I did in October 2015 here and September 2016.

Today - January 2 - We are leaving Amed to return to Candidasa where I am scheduled to complete the practical exercises for my PADI Open Water SCUBA certification -- having already passed the exams online.




No comments:

Post a Comment